Not if it has significant meaning enough....  which is kind of misty as
a description.

There have been some discussions about this on the general mailing list
a while back.

afaik, you can keep it in there as long as it define(d|s) the landscape
but received a different purpose..  like a cycleway that follows the
bedding of the old railway.  e.g. the cut is still there, the rail is
gone but the silhouette can still be distinguished.

But the moment that historic railway starts crossing through current
buildings it shoots past the purpose and indeed as Jo suggests is
perfect for openhistoricalmap.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Historical_Map

Glenn

Some links on the subject:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Demolished_Railway

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Railways#Abandoned_railways_where_all_evidence_has_been_removed

On 07-01-15 20:26, Jo wrote:
> Seems like something for OpenHistoricMap to me. I always understood we
> only mapped stuff for which there still is something physical left.
>
> Jo

> <mailto:vdmfrank...@gmail.com>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     https://www.openstreetmap.org/__#map=18/51.192296/4.370334
>     <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/51.192296/4.370334>
>
>     There is a highway that gives validation error.
>     Was tagged only as railway:historic.
>     On the sat images there is nothing to see anymore
>     How can it be tagged? May it be changed?
>     Something like a boundary administrative that can cross roads.
>
>     Historic railway site.
>
> http://www.itoworld.com/map/__26?lon=4.40932&lat=51.20641&__zoom=12&open_sidebar=map_key
>
> <http://www.itoworld.com/map/26?lon=4.40932&lat=51.20641&zoom=12&open_sidebar=map_key>
>
>     Jakka