Oh, now I get what you mean. It's part of the reason why I experimented a
bit with mapping the housenumbers on entrance nodes a few years ago. But
that also had it's problems. For one thing I didn't know what to add to the
associatedStreet relation anymore. But that point is moot now.

As far as rendering goes you should talk to the developers of the car to
style. I'd wish you good luck with them, I know you will need it. Or make
your own rendering. The fact that that is even possible is what makes OSM
so great!

Jo