On 2015-03-02 15:09, Jo wrote :
> In the name itself, there are no spaces around the -. So the separator
> between to languages is really " - " including the spaces.
>
> We do have a problem for a very few streets which have 2 names because
> they are on the border between two municipalities and which we want to
> give 2 names to be "linguistically correct", but there aren't very
> many of those.
>
> Using an em-dash is fine with me, as long as it can be done as a
> mechanical edit, as I can't type them indeed and I'm not going to
> copy/paste them one by one.
>
> Jo

I practically agree with Jo and Sander.
But I think that a newbie can make any mistake like typing Saint -
Josse... and that why he doesn't use em dashes is because he doesn't see
any (anywhere) and because there is no OSM specification for that.

So, I think that those who want to use a different character do the
right thing and the others don't care.
Remember that my primary point is not to *remove* em dashes without
specifying a different character.

Now, regarding the em dash itself, should we really "tag for the keyboard"?
Is it because, unlike Unix, Windows is keyboard-disabled that OSM should
be character-disabled?
Or should we recommend to use a proper keyboard driver instead?
This is exactly the same issue as typing oe instead of œ, which is a
spelling mistake (and not using a spelling checker that will detect that
mistake).  But that doesn't seem apparent in all languages.
But it's sure apparent in English when they want to type the names in
their dictionaries <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ch%C3%A2teau>.
And there are many spelling errors of that type in OSM
<http://overpass-turbo.eu/?q=LyoKVGhpcyBoYcSGYmVlbiBnxI1lcmF0ZWQgYnkgdGhlIG92xJJwxIlzLXR1cmJvIHdpemFyZC7EgsSdxJ9yaWdpbmFsIHNlxLBjaMSsxIk6CsOiwoDCnMS7bWV-PW9lxYjCnQoqLwpbb3V0Ompzb25dW3RpxYzFmcWbMjVdOwovL8SPxJTEnXIgcmVzdWx0cwooCiAgxa0gcXXEksSaxKNydCBmb3I6IMWIxYphxYx-xZDFksW9IG5vZGVbIsWLZSJ-IsWQIl0oe3tixKp4fX0pxavFvndhecacxp7GoMaixp_GpcanxqlvxqvGrcavxbNlbMSUacWfxrTGkcafxqHGo8a5xqjGqsasxq4Kx4_GgHDEt27GiMW0xbbFuMW6xabEmMaZecWrPsWrx5tza8eBxoF0Ow&c=BL7SAEs6IK&R>
because of Windows. (Don't run this over Flanders or Germany and ignore
imported words like koekoe; but I know some people who will rush running
it over France: "Visit Paris in 2 days
<http://overpass-turbo.eu/?q=LyoKVGhpcyBoYcSGYmVlbiBnxI1lcmF0ZWQgYnkgdGhlIG92xJJwxIlzLXR1cmJvIHdpemFyZC7EgsSdxJ9yaWdpbmFsIHNlxLBjaMSsxIk6CsOiwoDCnCLEu21lIn4ib8WOxYjCnQoqLwpbb3V0Ompzb25dW3RpxY3Fm8WdMjVdOwovL8SPxJTEnXIgcmVzdWx0cwooCiAgxa8gcXXEksSaxKNydCBmb3I6IMWIwpzFjGV-xZLFlMW_IG5vZGVbxYthxY3Fj8WRxY5dKHt7YsSqeH19KcWtxoB3YXnGnsaTxqLFkiLGpcanxqlvxqvGrcavxbVlbMSUacWhxrTGoMWOxZDGt8a5xqjGqsasxq4Kx4_GgnDEt27GisW2xbjFusW8xajEmMabecWtPsWtx5tza8eBxoN0Ow&c=BKoGQIDmsL&R>":

Belgian people should Osmose France ;-) ).
Recommending a proper keyboard driver (or Linux) would be killing a
whole swarm with one stone.
Fuzzy or not fuzzy, that is the question.

Cheers

André.