Hi Pieter-Jan,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Pieter-Jan Pauwels <
pieter-jan.pauw...@okfn.org> wrote:

> So before we start taking out the pitchforks and scream 'stop monetising
> crowdsourcing', let's us approach them in an inviting way. See if we can
> help them in any way and see what their endgame is. Maybe we'll not be able
> to help them in short term, but we'll have a friend organisation and new
> ambassadors in the long run.

No pitchforks here, my opinion is my personal one about a hypothetical
situation that has not happened yet and will most likely not happen.

I do think that ethics should be independent of ones dependency on funds or
business models. If planning out a business model would exempt me of all
ethics-related conderations then I think there is a bit of a problem.

That being said, it is possible that the collection of this kind of data
needs to facilitated better than we have done as an OSM-community, and if
the needed funding can only come from a business model that keeps the data
closed then so be it. But I don't believe that to be the case either.

I also think it's a bad option to keep my opinion to myself because it may
offend future partners. I hope we can cooperate with them even when they
know of my personal opinion about the matter. Mine may even be different
from our community-viewpoint.

I'm also not claiming that any of the above remarks apply to their (future)
way of doing things because I have never spoken to any of the people
involved. I'm just voicing my fear about the matter because we have never
been contacted and part of our community is try to collect exactly the same
data.

The obvious next step is to contact them and ask them how we can help them
improve open accesibility data. I think we can all agree on that! :-)

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Best regards,

Ben Abelshausen