Ben and I had a meeting with CIRB today.

CIRB is thinking about "new projects" for the coming years. They are
actually brainstorming/thinking/meeting people about what would be
interesting to develop.

They are also interested by OSM. They guess OSM can help them to
achieve their missions, but they are quite unclear about concretely
what to do. They also have some admiration for the work done by
contributors.

At first, they were thinking about "change detection" from OSM to
URBIS data. They think also about using OSM as background layer for
outside of the Brussels Regio (some of their clients (public
institutions in Brussels) are working around Brussels).

During the meeting, we explained some tools and organization that they
didn't know (they were quite well documented).

We stressed the discussion on one aspect: which interest do you have
into investing in OSM ? Our message: if you have some interest, you
could invest in differents manners to help improve the tools, the
data, or building the community...

We discussed some ideas like :

- - hosting some data or extracts for OSM on a future data portal. This
might help to promote our data, and help to improve them (the better
visibility we have, the better data we will have) ;
- - the cirb is interested in using OSM for starting cadastre of data
(like benches, street furnitures) that their customers
(municipalities, ...) could need. This would be great, because by
virality our licence will force those customers to redistribute freely
the improved data if they want to share it to a third person ;
- - hosting tiles with dedicated styles for Brussels/Belgium. (We
launched the idea to loan a server from the CIRB data center to the
OSM community :-))
- - the routing functionalities has also some interest for them ;

They also asked if osm contributors would be interested in "diff" of
urbis data : what has changed in their data from date X to date Y.
This would ease the update operation between urbis and OSM (we also
suggest to make a diff between their data and what is imported in OSM).

The CIRB is collecting those ideas, will write some internal documents
and continue the process internally. We will be kept in touch.

We also spoke about the mapping party on 25th of April !

Ben & Julien
- --
Julien Fastré

clé PGP 0x52577F34