The problem is that emergency is used for both access rules (a permission)
and for features, see http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/emergency#values
This means that you can never restrict/allow access to a feature in the
"emergency"-tag group (fire stations, fire hydrants, etc.) for
"emergency"-vehicles, in case you ever need this.

You can't have

emergency=<some feature fire_station, water_tank, etc.>
vehicle=no
emergency=yes

on 1 object.

don't know if someone want to do something like this, or whether it is
useful at all. Still I think the two uses should use different keys. (e.g.
use emergency_vehicle for permissions).

regards