May I ask a question : why ? Why investing so much time and energy into this ?

In my view there are things incredibly more useful to do to make Openstreetmap
more complete and relevant. We are talking about cartography, not about the
size of a road. Especially the bridge example looks like a « mapping for the
renderer » mistake.

This may be a bit biased but for instance I discovered yesterday that the whole
french « Véloroutes »  network is a mess : 90% of the relations are broken if
I’m not mistaken. Fixing it and painting it : that’s something I call useful
:-) I know that it isn’t mutually exclusive but still, ...