I agree, since there were not too many individual houses in the city, it
was a lot better (plus nominatim can find nodes addresses).  They were
-for a long time- the only house numbers we had in OSM.

Sometimes it's in fact difficult as a monument can be a facade which
encompasses 3 house numbers.  So I had to check the 'onroerenderfgoed'
links to make sure what house numbers they refer to.

Often it's a 1 on 1 downward merge , but I've seen plenty of cases where
there is a 1-house size offset.

All in all, I would say AGIV is pretty accurate for Mechelen (I did all
of Zemst, Bonheiden and Mechelen now) but there are still issues of more
recent data not being there (and the house + number exist).  New
street(names), demolished buildings still in the AGIV database etc. it's
never complete.  But I believe the results OSM Mechelen vs Google
Mechelen is worth it.
http://aptum.bitless.be/?pcode=2800&loadOsm=true&collapsedSections=

You also need a house/building to be there to work efficiently, I found
a lot of errors on corners ( that leaded me to the conclusion that most
house numbers where 'guessed' by using other sources , or by
extrapolating, not too scientific.

I think I did a lot of them now.  wish I had a decent analysis tool to
show me exactly how much crab work I've done so far, but to conclude:

 - having decent buildings before migration house numbers is almost
essential.
 - mapping houses together with numbers is painstakingly slow.  Better
create houses first, then later on (days, months, whatever) they will be
visible on the map when you start with phase 2:
 - mapping house numbers.  Sanders tool is essential, especially the
integration with JOSM remote control.
 - extra care needs to be taken when you have existing data, associated
street relations will be deleted (most of them yours too ;-) once a road
is completed, all the houses are there.
 - Sometimes there is NO house number attached to the 'erfgoed',   So I
have to check the inventory to see what it applies to.
 - Sometimes is also needed to make it more complex, like
https://inventaris.onroerenderfgoed.be/dibe/relict/88684 ->
 - There have been occasions where I used the erfgoed information to
validate a house number.

You don't want to change the house number on the erfgoed itself, as that
would be inacurate, just to accommodate the map (or routers), hence you
need to change that single node into a site relation (which I think is
very well suited for this)

I believe that was a good call you made by making nodes. migration that
information with the terracing plugin is as easy as doing CTRL+shift+T

Cheers!

Glenn