Marc,
If by "they" you mean "trage wegen vzw", I think they have a pretty good
understanding of what does and does not belong in Openstreetmap. They
actively promote OSM use amongst their public, which is a good thing. But
if you mean mappers in general, I would say that we still could do more to
guide people. TheTrage Wegen blog post mentioned above was originally meant
to include a link to the wiki page I want to make, but because I'm so slow,
that wasn't ready yet. I think it would be very useful to have a wikified
version of our discussions here.
Edge cases of what does and does not belong in OSM is one of the subjects
in that wiki.

As to names and numbers, I really like Ben Laenen's proposal to put those
in vicinal_ref=*. "Voetweg XX" should then only be put in the name=* if it
is marked as such in the field.
I don't see a problem with vicinal_ref being filled with data that cannot
be verified in the field (but verifiable with open data). All data should
be verifiable, but not all of that will ever be verifiable in the field.

Joost @
Openstreetmap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/joostjakob> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joost-schouppe/48/939/603> | Meetup