I was reading this small arcticle,
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/01/germany-launches-its-national-bike-autobahn-cycle-network/422451/

So in Germany they just opened up a piece of a long bicycle highway, I
was intruiged, so I started looking for it in OSM.  This is how germans
currently tag their velobahn / radweg NW4

http://www.bahntrassenradeln.de/details/nw4_01.htm

They use ref key=RS1

With my rusty German, it took me a while to realise this is the
designation of the radweg (the 100km stretch), at least if I understand
this correctly.

http://www.rs1.ruhr/

In OSM via ref search: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/e5G

The tags seem to be:

bicycle=designated
description=Verlängerung Radweg Rheinische Bahn von Anbindung
Grugatrasse bis Mülheim Hbf [RS1] (Fertigstellung voraussichtlich Herbst
2015)
foot=no
highway=cycleway
name=Radweg Rheinische Bahn [RS1]
ref=RS1
smoothness=excellent
surface=asphalt
width=4

So nothing really special besides description that this is a 'highway'
and width. (and ... foot=no !).

Note that this is how they tag it, it doesn't mean we should do this.
Just wanted to bring this to attention.

Glenn