An underground fire hydrant  does not look like the pillar shaped
(above the ground) one, still we tag both as fire hydrant.
So why wouldn't we map underground waste_baskets the same as the above
the ground ones ?

I'll admit that Guy's proposal is also possible, but "Waste disposal
is used for medium sized waste bins, typically for bagged up household
or industrial waste. They may be in the street, but they are not
primarily for use by passing pedestrians." from the wikipage
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_disposal does
not match very well.

m.