Hi,

We would have loved to have a landuse-mapping debate during Foss4G, it
didn't really happen though. There were two very cool presentations about
landuse mapping though, by Julien Minet and Julien Radoux.

You can see Julien's presentation here [1]. It does a nice job of
summarizing the state of the landuse map, and shows some of the current
mapping dilemmas.

Julien Radoux explained how OSM is useful - and sometimes fails - for his
project to map the landcover in Wallonia for the Lifewatch project [2].
This data is available for download and could possibly be interesting for
us - not for a simple import, but at least as food for a mapping challenge
to map Wallonia landuse in detail.

The agenda of the meeting would be:
- work on a Belgian proposal to deal with current dilemmas, so "Belgian
mapping standards". These would hopefully be followed internationally, but
we have to start somewhere. This would build especially on the thoughts of
Marc and Julien on the subject and would ideally result in a Belgian
mapping standards on the wiki.
- define usecases for the dataset Julien Radoux is providing, and make sure
that everything is OK to make that happen
- what you bring to the table

To move forward, I would like to propose having a (virtual) meeting about
the subject. Who would be interested in participating? We could have a real
meeting (probably in Brussels or Namur) with some people participating
online.

1:
https://cdn.rawgit.com/nobohan/OSMLanduseAnalyzer/9a8b0290/presentation/2017_10_26_FOSS4G.be_OSMLanduse/index.html#/
2: http://www.lifewatch.be/en/lifewatch-wb-ecotope-database