Here is a few bullet point explaining my reasoning to decide if it is a
tunnel or not :

   - I think that most of the exceptions mentioned, are well-known as being
   a tunnel (like tunnel in Brussels). Thus it is not a problem for these.
   - If you have nothing on top, and it is a passage going under something,
   it is always a tunnel (like below a city, below a mountain, ...). if you
   don't have something directly on top (no road, no railway...), there is no
   question to me. Even if you generally have roads/railways somewhere above
   these type of tunnel (For example, you often have something on the
   mountain, but it is not "directly on top").
   - Thus, the question is only posed in case where two
   railway/highways/rivers/... (or any combination of them) crosses each
   others. Then the usual rule of thumb can be applied :

   1. if it looks like a bridge = a bridge;
   2. if it looks like a tunnel (longer than wide, structure looks like
   one, ... -> WHATEVER is your definition, it will always be subjective) then
   it is a tunnel, ...

And  we probably will always disagree on some of these interpretation. The
only case where it is really verifiable is when there is a sign telling
"bridge n°4295" like on our motorways or if the structure is named ("Viaduc
Herman Debroux", "Tunnel Montgommery", ...) or if an official database
exist with a classification.