Another positive thing: they did attribution right :)

But using the OpenStreetMap.org tiles for a big production website is not
right. They are financed by the community for mostly internal use. Larger
websites using them run the risk of being blocked. Maybe the site hit some
rate limitations, or maybe it was just a bad day.
The Belgian tile server can handle quite a bit of server load, but also
come without guarantees. You could get in touch with Jonathan from geo-6,
to analyse if our server can handle the load. My guess is it probably would!
Of course, if you want real guarantees, you should go with a commercial
solution or host tiles yourself (see for example
https://switch2osm.org/providers/).

Op za 17 aug. 2019 om 20:05 schreef rodeo .be <rodeo...@gmail.com>:

> Hey all,
>
> first message to this mailing list !
>
> Last week I supported for some friends in the Dodentocht (a 100km walk
> around Bornem).
> Positive thing: the organisation uses openstreetmap in their follow tool:
> https://tracking.dodentocht.be
> Negative thing: the maps were very slow (background not loading, or slowly
> etc) probably due to the high local demand.
>
> The organisers used Leaflet to load the maps. I know we have a dedicated
> server in Belgium (tile.osm.be) but that server was not used.
>
> What could we do to avoid this "slow loading" in case of future events in
> Belgium?
>
> Kind regards
> Maarten

Joost Schouppe