For me this is a case of not mapping for the renderer. Vehicle=no is what
the sign means, so is what should be used. If you look at what the wiki
says for access=no: "The access
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access>=no tag indicates that the
object is not to be used by the general public, with stronger interdiction
than the access <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access>=private
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Dprivate> tag." [1] it is
clear that this is not what a simple traffic sign implies. My rule of thumb
is putting access=no if I consider being shot because of being there a
possibility.
Conclusion: fully in favour of vehicle=no.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Dno