Hello, folks,

As of January 2021, Brussels will change the default maxspeed on urban roads to
become an all-30-kph city.  This goes for the entire Brussels-Capital Region
(161 km²).
Basically, the idea is the following:
* no speed roadsign will mean 30-kph
* on the main roads there will be C43 signs with a 50-kph limit (or possibly
70-kph on the biggest ones); those signs are to be repeated after every
intersection.
* living streets (20-kph) or pedestrian areas are left untouched
* motorways are left untouched

The good point is that it will be much easier than now—for drivers and for
mappers alike—to know whether 50 or 30-kph applies somewhere.
I will no longer use BE:urban because it’s not the same in every Region.

May I suggest the following tagging scheme
* maxspeed=30 + source:maxspeed=BE-BXL:urban
* maxspeed=50 (or 70) + source:maxspeed=sign

What do you think?

Cheers.
Yves