From: SIMON MERCIER <simon.merc...@msp.gouv.qc.ca>
Date: Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 6:50 AM
Subject: Rép. : GeoBase Import to OpenStreetMap project
To: acrosscanadatra...@gmail.com

 Hi Sam

Yes you can do that easily with OpenLayers.  If I understand wath you want,
I add a simple raster map off BNDT(from cits) in OpenLayers.   To do this
you can use this URL and check out what you want to add in your own map.

http://wms.cits.rncan.gc.ca/cgi-bin/cubeserv.cgi

I have a demo in this web site(so sorry sam it's only in french)
http://geomsp.msp.gouv.qc.ca/

the demo page is here
http://geomsp.msp.gouv.qc.ca/demomsp/demo_ol.html

and the map with the CITS WMS is here... you have to switch it in the layers
controls
http://geomsp.msp.gouv.qc.ca/demomsp/base.html

Yes, if you want you can also dowload data on your server.  1)You can
build your own TileCache(http://tilecache.org/) with the CITS WMS(a
TileCahce map is very very fast).  2)You can download source data and map
it, but you have to use MapServer for this and it's a HUGE amount of work to
merge data and map it!

And yes, you can also use tools in OpenLayers to digitize news
information(polygon, line, point) on WMS map and save it on your
server.  There a lot off possibilities

I hope this will help you in your research sam

cheers

Simon Mercier
Analyste en Géomatique
DTI - Service de l'infrastructure et du réseau
Direction des technologies de l'information
Ministère de la Sécurité publique
2525, boulevard Laurier, Tour du Saint-Laurent, 10e étage
Québec (QC) G1V 2L2

Téléphone : (418) 646-5687
Télécopie : (418) 643-0787

Courriel : simon.merc...@msp.gouv.qc.ca

>>> <acrosscanadatra...@gmail.com> 18/12/2008 21:29 >>>
Hi there,
Im wondering if perhaps you can help,
i saw your thread from
http://www.nabble.com/Multiple
-images-in-a-group-layer-to20816129.html#a20835359

I would like to try and see if it's possible to get all the data that is
available from GeoBase/CanVec tiles, and shown on a slippy map.  So then it
can be used on openstreetmap, so users can use the map to trace  with, where
needed... and so, for updated of GeoBase data, this slippy map will be able
to show the most current information.

Thank,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails