On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 18:30:21 -0400, john whelan <jwhelan0...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I've had a discussion with the only other local mapper I'm aware of in
> Ottawa and we are proposing the following for Ottawa bus stops, which
I've
> entered in the wiki.  There is a GTFS feed available for Ottawa and
> verbally
> I've been assured the data is available under an acceptable license.
>
> OC tranpo's system has a four digit number on all the stops otherwise
known
> as the GTFS stop_code which is of value since their route planner
doesn't
> always take into account footpaths.  The GTFS stop_name is displayed
> internally to the driver and on a good day gets announced.
>
> So this proposal is to get agreement on how the stops should be imported
if
> need be and to give guidance to local mappers before then.
>
> Thoughts?

The Winnipeg WIKI page has a reasonable schema for this:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:Manitoba:Winnipeg
See the section on Bus Stops.

For example:
    * highway=bus_stop
    * route_ref=12;65 (Include all routes that stop here, separated by
semicolon) (ie each route in winnipeg is numbered)
    * name=* (The name of the bus stop, which is usually the cross street;
printed on the sign)
    * asset_ref=10254 (The stop number, printed on the sign)
    * shelter=yes/no (Indicate if there is as shelter at this stop)

Here's an example of a bus stop sign in Winnipeg from a survey I did; I
have yet to add this to OSM yet:
http://www.egunn.com/dl/bus_stop.jpg

Ironically, here's the only example of a fully tagged bus stop in Winnipeg
that I can find (one of my first attempts at it):
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/679411842

Hope that helps.
Tyler