You've got the right idea. I'm the only hiking trail mapper for the Upper
Fraser Valley (so far), and I do basically the same thing. The trails I hike
are non-circuits, so I get a track both in and out. Then I upload the track
so that future mappers with tracks will be able to average my track plus
their track. Then I trace the average of what I have. It's better to have a
poor hiking trail on OSM than none at all, since it will make it easier for
other OSMers to discover places to go and grab better gps tracks. You can
also name the gpx track saying "(inaccurate)" if you want. For the OSM ways,
you can use the tag accuracy=* (where * is some number in meters). It's not
an official tag, but the imports have been using it a lot, and it will be
visible to other editors (Canadian mappers will be used to seeing it from
all the NRN/NHN imports).

Hiking trails aren't something included in the government imports, so it's
good to get as much as you can. Logging roads as well.

Adam