FYI,
I'm just forwarding these comments over to the Canadian talk-ca list,
as the national data is created in the exact same way.

And BTW, the fact that the canvec data is available in full
province/national sized shape files, as a layer for each feature
(should) be great news for some.
This is why im trying to convert the .gml file to .shp files to .osm
files to .img files (using the data as a tool for mapping perfection)

cheers,
Sam

On 1/15/11, dinarrow <dinear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 16, 9:45 am, Hamish <hamish.bow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> regards,
>> Hamish
>
> No criticism of your efforts at all Hamish. You are right that LINZ is
> about the best data we can expect to get without walking everything
> with a GPS which it totally impractical in the short term.
>
> It is great to have your uploads to suggest things to actually get out
> and check in the field and I have been in the business long enough to
> know that the perfect database is a nirvana that does not exist.
>
> That being said I am getting the impression that there are various
> levels of accuracy in the LINZ data ranging from   "This will kill
> somebody" to "Someone may find this interesting just to know".
>
> In the case of the tank points nobody is going to die if the contents
> are incorrect (unless the try and drink the fuel :-) ) but the
> locations of some tanks ( such as the old water tower on the top of
> Bluff Hill, not plotted yet, just an example) may be used for
> navigation etc. and so more care has been taken with  that data.
>
> I do not know how LINZ is structured now but back in the day proofs of
> the maps were always sent out to the regional offices (and sometimes
> even to us engineers etc. at the Post Office, MOW and other government
> departments) and great pride was taken  using local knowledge to
> insure that the important  features at least were correct before
> release. Today I suspect there is a lot more reliance on what can be
> seen in the imagery and there is less available local knowledge on the
> payroll.
>
> Anyway you just keep loading the LINZ data and I ( and others I hope)
> will keep checking and reporting what I can locally and both OSM and
> LINZ can become closer the nivana of perfection.
>

> Cheers
>
> --

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
Skype: samvekemans
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #osm-ca Canadian OSM channel (an open chat room)
@Acrosscanadatrails