Good Morning Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on my question about mapping cut blocks in
wooded areas.  I do appreciate it and understand the points that are
being made by Daniel, Bryan and Bernie.  I've thought a lot about this,
however, and would like to address some of the points as it touches a
bit on the varied philosophies we all bring to the project.

The arguments against mapping the cut blocks as openings in the wood
cover seem to fall along the following lines:... and I hope I am not
over simplifying or expanding too much:

1) Change is the nature of the beast.  When we map "wood" (or more
accurately, "forest" in OSM terms) it is implied that there will be
logging operations taking place within, with the result that the degree
of cover is constantly changing as is the maturity of the trees.  To try
to keep up is fruitless.  When one sees a wooded area on a map one
should probably just assume that it will be highly variable.

2) There are people who are maintaining this information to a much
greater level of detail and accuracy than OSM could ever hope to do.

3) To map them is counterproductive.

I have to say that I am not entirely convinced by these well-pointed
arguments.

1) Yes, change is what goes on in wooded areas.  That's WHY we map them.
The value of mapping is often in what we learn by comparing maps from
one time period to another.  It's important to map so that we can track
that change.  Any map is simply a snapshot of what exists at a moment in
time and the maps themselves are outdated the moment they are made as
they are commonly based on outdated data.  To use the argument that we
shouldn't map a feature simply because it will be out-of-date tomorrow,
or next week, or next year I just don't think is convincing.  The
neighborhood in which I live in Kamloops has changed significantly even
in the last two or three years.  Houses, businesses and new streets have
appeared, trails have disappeared, streams have been diverted.  It's a
struggle to keep maps up-to-date.  But it doesn't mean that it is
pointless to map the features as best we can, with the most currently
available data we have available to us.

2) The fact that better data exist elsewhere is great.  Better data
lead to better forest management practices  and  greater sustainability.
But those data are likely unavailable to us or would need to be heavily
culled for those relevant to OSM.  The City of Kamloops has incredibly
detailed maps of the city freely available online.  There are overlays
for every curb, parking meter and telephone pole.  Does that mean that
we don't map the city in lesser detail?

3) Would it be counterproductive to map cut-blocks?  Well, not
counterproductive, but maybe "differently" productive.  I think one of
the beauties of this project is that we map things that are not just
important to ourselves, but maybe also to someone else.  I get a real
hoot out of just browsing through the list of official map features -
things like...  power=cable_distribution_cabinet, amenity=baby_hatch
(where one can anonymously drop off a baby for adoption) and
barrier=stile vs. turnstile.   These must be important and useful to
someone. ???  So are cut blocks useful to anyone who might use an OSM
map or load OSM data into their GPS?  Hard to say.  Maybe to an amateur
birding group or a geocaching club or to someone who is hurt and is
looking for the nearest clearing for evacuation.  Don't know.  Don't
presume to know.

So am I going to start mapping all the cut blocks?  Following my
arguments I probably should... but I probably won't.  I will go back and
clean up the gross errors and inconsistencies I find in the CanVec data
as it relates to natural=wood, some of which are offsets along tile
boundaries and inconsistent mapping of cuts along power lines and
pipelines.  That will probably be enough as it involves breaking and
rebuilding relations which just make me scream.  But  I'll try to clean
up what we have first.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't sound like a rant because it really isn't.
While I lean towards mapping them, the arguments against are well made.
We don't maps waves on the ocean... we accept that it will be variable.
Maybe natural=wood is similar?  Dunno.  That's why I asked for guidance.

Truly, thanks for your responses.

Sam L.