Hello,
I believe I am looking for a subtile of 040P but the directory
ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/osm/pub/040/P/ is empty.

This brings up a related point:
Is there a web page that makes it easy to find the tile you want?
A mashup would be ideal.

I took a quick look at the openstreetmap OpenLayers api and it has
at least some of the capability needed. In fact, given a list of the
centers of the tiles, we could use the example,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Openlayers_POI_layer_example
with trivial modifications to display an icon on each one. Clicking on
an icon would display the URL for the corresponding osm file.

Here is what textfile.txt would look like:
lat     lon     title   description     icon    iconSize        iconOffset
48.9459301      9.6075669       040J03.3.osm    To get the .osm file for this
tile go to<br>ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/osm/pub/040/J/040J03.zip
Ol_icon_blue_example.png        24,24   0,-24
[the coordinates in the above are not correct]

There are some issue, though, which I can go into if people like this idea.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
tre...@debian.org