Pierre

I beg to differ, the OSM wiki states "The place=locality tag can be
used to name unpopulated place which is not associated with any
feature to which such a tag could be associated."

By default many small or unpopulated places are tagged as localities
in canvec. When I preformed the upload along a remote northern rail
line, I checked the community against a Government of Manitoba list
and the census to determine if a place was populated. We do need some
sort of tagging to indicated the railway significance, but I have used
place=locality on road locations in both urban and rural environments
as well (http://osm.org/go/Wpz83vHj2-- and
http://osm.org/go/Wp5TRnmtN--).

Sam