On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Daniel Begin <jfd...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I'm cleaning up my area for relicensing problems

Merci!

> and I have found duplicated
> ways that raise some questions - not related to relicensing problems.
>
> One is a bicycle track/route I created few years ago, the other is a hiking
> trail/route imported later. Both merge near the "Chemin Keenan" bridge and
> share the same tracks/roads for 3 km. The hiking trail was drawn few meters
> offset even if it was not physically separated on the field.

That is an interesting case.  I'm not the mapper with local
experience, so I'll defer to you.  From my distance it seem that:

Treating the trail / route as distinct from the road where it shares
the road seems incorrect to me.  We strive to represent a single
object in reality with a single object in OSM.

It appears that mappers have drawn two separate ways for the off-road
portion of this trail as well.  Are there two trails, or one trail,
shared by cyclists and pedestrians?  If there is only one 'highway'
for both pedestrians and cycles, they should be merged as well.

Tagging for the users can be done in several ways and is a matter of
mapper preference.  Each of these are correct:
- highway=footway, bicycle=yes
- highway=cycleway, foot=designated
- highway=path, foot=yes, bicycle=yes
- other variations

The access restrictions, if true, are probably best left on a relation
where they apply.  It seems strange to me that cyclists would not need
a permit for a path while hikers would require the permit.  If those
restrictions only apply to a portion of the hiking trail (on private
property, perhaps) then perhaps the access restrictions should be
moved to those ways, and leave the generic tags on the relation.

Best regards,
Richard

For some of the variations on path tagging, see:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcycleway
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath