While browsing the map I noticed that the CFBs Borden and Meaford show
up on the standard Mapnik mak in very low zoom levels (z=6).

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.28&lon=-80.06&zoom=6&layers=M

The reason appears to be that they're tagged as place=city. According
to the wiki this tag should be used "[f]or the largest urban
settlement or settlements within the territory, normally including the
national, state and provincial capitals. Defined by charter or
official designation in some territories and as a matter of judgement
others. Should normally have a population of at least 100,000 people
and be larger than nearby place=towns." I suspect that both places
don't qualify for this.

Can someone with local knowledge please suggest the appropriate tag
for these two places?

 Harald.

--
Please use encrypted communication whenever possible!
Key-ID: 0x199DC50F