As a geocacher, I'm unhappily aware that different brands of GPS give different results, with differences in the order of 10 meters for an individual point. I suppose a track should be better, since there is an internal consistency check, though not if the difference is due to systemic causes. As it happens, in this case I had my own GPS trace to work with, and it aligned reasonably well with the Bing image of the path I was following.

One thing I'm not sure of: were my GPS traces uploaded with the edits, or did I have to do something special to upload them?