My comments largely revolve around the use of editor based deprecation.

---
One comment is specific to GNS.  The gns:uni and gns:ufi are a primary keys
in the source data, and as such should definitely be kept to aid in future
matching or conflation of the object.  See:
http://www.geographic.org/geographic_names/definitions.html#UFI
And:
http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/

Also of some value is gns:fc.  gns:nt should have been used during the
original import to tag historic names differently and perhaps shuffle some
of them to a historic map database.

---
In general I feel the editor delete list approach is bad for two reasons:
1) Tags are deleted behind the back of human editors.  There's no effective
human review since the deletion is done at save time not load time in
common editors.
2) Slowly bit-rotting away data does not give data consumers any notice
that their tags are going away.  Far better that a data consumer notices
the deprecation right away.  They could then can adjust their software, or
argue for restoration of the data, before the data is long gone under a
blizzard of overlapping edits.