On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 11:22 PM, Mike Thompson <miketh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> User maxerickson sent me this comment directly about this issue:
>
> =====================
>
> The current modeling of the Great Lakes is actually to use
> natural=coastline.
>
> The addition of natural=water to the lake superior relation is probably
> what caused the bad rendering at z13.
>
> If you check the history of the relation, you can see people repeatedly
> adding and removing natural=water.
>
> =====================

Yes, if Lake Superior is mapped as natural=coastline (which I think is the
easier-to-maintain approach for such a large & complex water body) then we
should remove natural=water from the multipolygon relation (r4039486). Does
anyone have any objection to this? It's causing some noticeable rendering
issues both in the standard style and for data consumers.

There is also a second multipolygon relation for Lake Superior that appears
to be entirely redundant: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1120169 .
It captures just the Canadian half of the lake. I think this relation could
just be removed after going through it and confirming that all of its
member ways are properly tagged as natural=coastline (which they appear to
be). Does anyone have any reason to keep this relation? (cc'ing talk-ca)

AJ