On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Loïc Haméon <hame...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to familiarize myself with various features of OSM
> editors. While puttering about in the ID editor, I've stumbled upon a mess
> of very short and apparently unusable GPS traces in a small area of a
> remote town (Saint-Félicien) with little local OSM activity (see attached
> screen grab - it looks like a game of mikado). It looks somewhat unlikely
> they made by locals, what with the straightness, the going through
> buildings and all.
>
> I'm wondering whether its possible to find out where those came from, if
> they can possibly have any use and whether there is some sort of process to
> remove bad GPS traces (or do they just ccumulate ad vitam aeternam)?

GPS traces can be like that - something interfering with reception or a
device just turned on trying to get a good fix. It isn't that uncommon. I
try not to upload my traces when they look like the image you provided.
Most consumers, me included, don't have good and easy tools to fix traces
but still want to share. Hopefully there the rest of the traces look
better.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle