I think Stewart means make sure that the City has the rights to distribute
it if the data is created by some third party.

For example, some cities get their building footprints from their
orthoimagery provider (they're created as part of the orthorectification
process) while others digitize them from their own imagery (imagery
licenses usually include a term that makes derivative products their own
property). In the first case it couldn't be imported to OSM but in the
second, provided the imagery license allows it, it would be okay for import.