Well, if distances are similar but peed limits are different, the router
may prefer to go with the similar length route because it has a higher
speed limit.  Another case could be if the algorithm prefers the more major
road classification over the lower classified road in the hierarchy, it
could avoid the _link in order to satisfy it's hierarchy preferences.

-Kevin