I continue to assert that our (OSM's) name=* wiki states these abbreviations
should be fully expanded and that official_name=* might hold the abbreviation.
In short, "them's the rules" in OSM:  part of why I'm pounding so hard on this
is that I might get some recognition that OSM does have rules to follow.
(Slavishly?  Well, perhaps yes, perhaps no, but please analyze and fully
understand the issues before taking exception to them).  There are good reasons
for this "no abbreviations" tenet which have to do with software parsers being
able to do sane things.

Jarek and I have exchanged opinions, though what he distilled for me from his
point of view is that "software parsing of names is fraught with problems..."
and so we should/must "fix these problems in the data."  Again, I respectfully
disagree:  the data are to be full names without abbreviations SO THAT software
parsers have a consistent set of data to use.  This is at least partly why
official_name and loc_name exist.

I realize that as somebody from outside Canada, some may feel I clomp clumsily
here, as I don't want to get in the way of "how Canada does things."  However,
what we are talking about is "how Canada does things IN OSM" and about that, I
am not outside the tent, I am inside of it.  I continue to respect good dialog
while realizing that all of us, as we display our passion in this forum, "wish
to do the right things."

SteveA