The wiki page currently has a very wide range of information which might be
too much for a casual mapper to digest.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Canada/Building_Canada_2020

There are two parts mapping the building outlines and enriching the data.

Since the project has started many things have changed.  Stats has managed
to make a slew of building outlines available under the federal
government's Open Data license.

Microsoft has released a large number of building outlines in the US and I
think it's a fair assumption that they will be doing the same for Canada
within a reasonable time frame.

These are both high quality data sets but will need verifying when imported.

My personal view is it is probably better to use these sources first than
to have mapathons with inexperienced mappers tracing buildings using iD.

In Ottawa we managed to enrich the tags on the buildings.

117491    detached
64173    house
59942    terrace
47997    yes
8204    residential
5757    garage
4147    commercial
2762    retail
2601    apartments
1551    barn
1420    shed
892    school
788    industrial
544    roof
488    static_caravan

etc

and we have an average of 3 to 4 associated tags on each building such as
building:levels etc.

https://www.jatws.org/johnw/ottawabuilding2018oct.zip

and I think its this enrichment of the data where we can best use local
mappers.

It would be fairly simple to have a graph showing how many buildings have
been mapped and tagged for a particular region.  Would this be useful?
There are some CSVs in the zip file above if anyone wants to experiment.

Should we try to tailor the information on Building 2020 towards
inexperienced mappers to make it easier for schools etc to get involved?

What would be most useful?

Thoughts please

Thanks John