A place does not need to incorporated to be a place=town, city, village.
That is not how it works anywhere in OSM - there are many unincorporated
places with these tags, worldwide.  The tagging in Ottawa is a good guide,
with e.g. Richmond a village, but e.g. Centretown and Stittsville
place=suburbs, based on distinctness.
DannyMcD