On Jan 26, 2019, at 12:37 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0...@gmail.com> wrote:
A history of building data released by Stats Can and how these were entered
into OSM via an Ottawa pilot project, with some success and some lessons
learned.  Good for OSM!

> The other complicating factor here is a lot of people are very interested in
> using the data one way or another.

No doubt it's a factor, though I fail to see how it complicates — unless there
is a rush to enter the data before they are fully vetted.  (That won't work).
Should the data be used "from OSM," they must enter OSM with our community
consensus, standards and practices.  That is beginning to be achieved:
https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Canada_Building_Import improves, related Task Manager
tasks appear to get closer to being "opened again" as Nate's four steps of what
might be accomplished reach wider consensus and are implemented (or not, or
something else happens...) and discussion continues right here on talk-ca.
Yes, "broad philosophical discussions" are included:  they are helpful, likely
to some more than others.

> The take away, have fun if you can.

"Have fun" is "OSM tenet #2" (#1 is "Don't copy from other maps.")  As we're
not violating #1 here, I enthusiastically agree with John's "take away:"
please do have fun (yes, you can, yes, many do).  Yet, as we are a data
project, we must also be a community who cares deeply about data quality, that
our data "pass muster" as they enter (especially when via a nationwide Import).
 I speak for myself only, but others in this project concur.  Canada gets
there, I'm delighted to see.  Yes, it's taking a bit of thrashing to do so, but
that's all for the greater good, as the ends justify the (polite, patient,
correct) means by which we do.  We're many steps into this 10,000-kilometer
journey, let's keep going, as the goal is worthy.

Now, who is rolling up their sleeves and addressing Nate's four steps?  Those
discussions can take place here, though I think the Discussion tab ("Talk
page") of the link above seems more appropriate.  (And, I'd prefer to "get out
of the way" here, if anybody were to go so far as to feel "get lost, already,
SteveA," I wouldn't be offended, though I remain watching this Import for that
greater good).

SteveA