Hi all,

I had a chance this morning to work on cleaning up some of the already-imported data in Toronto. I wanted to be a little methodical about this, so I picked a single typical block near where I live. All the building data on this block came from the import and I did everything in one changeset: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/66881357

What I found was that:

1) Every single building needed squaring

2) Most buildings needed at least some simplification.

3) 42 buildings were missing.

I knew going in that the first two would be an issue, but what really surprised me was just how many sheds had not been imported. There are only 53 houses on the block, but 42 sheds/garages/outbuildings, some of them quite large, and none of which had been mapped.

I haven't seen the quality of the outbuildings in the source data, and maybe I would change my mind if I did, but I think if we're going to do this import properly, we're going to have to bring in the other half of the data. I had seen in the original import instructions that small buildings were being excluded - was there a reason for this?

I also want to say: given how long it took me to clean up and properly remap this one block, I'll say again that the size of the import tasks is way, way, way too large. There is absolutely no way that someone could have carefully looked at and verified this data as it was going in. I just spent a half hour fixing up probably about one-hundredth of a task square.

We can do better than this!

--
Nate Wessel
Jack of all trades, Master of Geography, PhD candidate in Urban Planning