Hi,

> I was wondering whether I could perhaps download the area in JOSM and
> use the orthogonalize menu option (or however it is spelled) on each
> way as I believe that is to do something along those lines. I did try
> it somewhere recently for something else, though I forget what, and
> it warned me that my projection method might lead to inaccuracies and
> prompts me to change it. I’m using whatever the default JOSM
> projection is, and don’t understand the choices offered.

As Dave pointed out, JOSM's view of what is rectangular depends on what
projection you have chosen. If you are editing in the UK, then Mercator
is a sensible choice, and the default of EPSG:4326 is a bad choice,
hence the warning.

The "orthogonalize" function should work for you, simply select the way
and use it. There's a little-known cool feature about this function: It
will normally, out of the many ways to make a rectangle from a
quasi-rectangle, select that rectangle that looks most like the
original. Should you want to orthogonalize a whole bunch of houses at
the same time then they may well end up each with a slightly different
orientation. If you, however, select any two nodes in addition to the
ways you select, then those two nodes define the orientation to which
all objects will be aligned. This can also be used to e.g. align
buildings with the road they're on or so.

Bye
Frederik