Apologies for cross-posting, and sorry if you already knew about this.
I searched talk-gb via Google and found nothing, and this was new to
me until a few days ago.

A nifty project that uses OSM to locate postboxes:
http://www.dracos.co.uk/play/locating-postboxes/

If Royal Mail won't provide a map, then OSM and Dracos' project could
do so in time, which could be useful PR for OSM.

Quote: "The Royal Mail supplied a list of every postbox's location –
unfortunately, it did not have useful co-ordinates, only postcodes or
sub-postcodes and some textual data. So I wrote this site: look up the
postboxes near you by entering the first half of your postcode, locate
one whose location you know on the map, pick which postbox you've
located, and submit. The pages also include postbox last collection
times, if we know them."

Even handier:
"You can add postboxes and their references to OSM – use a key of ref,
and this site will automatically pick them up every week or so."

I tend to map with a camera and take photos of the front plate of
postboxes where possible. The reference needed is at the bottom of the
plate, e.g. LS1 258

Hope this prompts a few more to join in! 6,654 postboxes located so far...

cheers,
LT