As a follow up to my earlier emails regarding this.

I have finally got it working with thanks to Matt Amos (and everyone else
who has replied).

Basically there appear to be bugs* in Mapnik preventing it converting from
"Google" projection to 27700 on the fly, coupled with some misunderstanding
of the XML file and python scripts.

Once the data is in the database in the 27700 format (needed to recompile
osm2pgsql) and the shape files have been converted (I used MapWindow GIS to
filter to the British Isles and surrounds (i.e. Benelux, Northern France)
Mapnik seams to work okay (apart from some weirdness like "Lincoln" becoming
"Linc", "Peterbourgh" -> "erborough" etc...

Now to write up for the Wiki.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Kev Swindells.

* Possibly bugs or just a complete lack of memory on my machine.