Peter Miller wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2009, at 12:03, Chris Hill wrote:
>
>> Well I'm pleased that they agree with me, but I'm not the oracle!
>> This is another source quoting the same general information.  Do the
>> Scottish and Northern Irish counties generally extend to the low
>> water mark too? Drawing from the NPE maps seems to be our only
>> reasonable source for the low water mark.
>
> Great stuff.
>
> Low water does however change much more rapidly that high water so NPE
> is the 'least good' source of that date as it is 50 years old. If one
> is fortunate enough to have detailed enough recent aerial photography
> that that should be used.
>
> Fyi, for Suffolk the low water mark has changed by 50 meters in places
> in the past 5 years (huge amounts of shingle has arrived near
> Felixstowe Ferry extending low water by that amount since I have lived
> in the area). Even the high water mark has moved by many meters over
> 50 years in some places including Dunwich. One can see the different
> in Potlatch comparing the OSM coastline with NPE base mapping.
>
> We have good yahoo aerial photography for pasts of the coast in Suffolk.
>
> However... I support the idea we use best low-water source availale
> for each area. It might be good to create areas between high and low
> water tagged with 'shingle', 'beach' etc.
>
> Should be also use low water as the edge of 'Wales' itself or has any
> evidence for the 3 mile limit mentioned by the wiki by someone been
> found?
>

> Regards,
>

> Peter
>

>> Bogus Zaba wrote:
>>> I have had confirmation from the Local Government Boundary
>>> Commission for Wales who agree with the view below from Chris Hill.
>>> They say :
>>> "...in general the seaward extent of a local authority is the low
>>> water mark as defined by Ordnance Survey. The exception to this are
>>> certain islands such as Flat Holm (which comes under Cardiff), where
>>> the courts have made specific decisions, such as Milford Haven, and
>>> where the Secretary of State has made an Order extending the local
>>> authority boundary to include an area of the sea (under Section 71
>>> of the 1972 Act). As far as I am aware no such orders have been made
>>> in respect of Welsh local authorities."
>>>
>>> That's good enough for me. I will define the low water mark from NPE
>>> and use that in the Flinthsire and Denbighshire boundaries.
>>>
>>> Bogus Zaba

Regarding the Wales national boundary I should have mentioned that my
contact at the Local Govt Boundary Commission for Wales also answered
this partially. Words were :
"

As far as I am aware Wales by itself does not have territorial waters. I think
it just has the UK territorial waters because it is part of the UK. The
Commission no longer have any remit for the Wales National Boundary as the
section dealing with this was repealed from the 1972 Act some time ago. For our
work we consider Wales to be the sum of the LA boundaries.

"

Bogus