There doesn't seem to be an established way to tag motorways operating
under active traffic management or managed motorway conditions (both are
essentially the same), or those running with variable speed limits, in
fact none in the UK seem to be marked at all.

Active traffic management and managed motorways use hard shoulder
running, ramp metering and variable speed limits, so it may be a good
idea to tag each aspect individually, as they are not all present in all
cases.

Ramp metering can be solved by tagging part time traffic signals on the
slip roads (I can't find a part time tag, but I presume part_time=yes
would suffice?

For variable speed limits, would it be a good idea to tag
maxspeed=<default> (default is most likely to be 70mph) with
variable_speed_limit=yes?

Would hard_shoulder_running=yes be appropriate for HSR or is the tag too
long?

VSL is currently in operation on a large chunk of the western M25, part
of the M20, M1 J6-10, M40 J16-M42, M42 J3-J9 and part of the A470 north
of Cardiff. Hard shoulder running is only in operation on the M42
between J3A and J7, but will begin on the M6 between J4 and J5 when the
current works are completed. Ramp metering is fairly common all over the
country now.

Jeni
http://blog.jennystuff.com