The Clacton pay scale area will be affected by the straight line
used to complete the area, rather than the use of the coastline.
This excludes almost all the urban areas that should be included.

Ed

From: talk-gb-boun...@openstreetmap.org
[mailto:talk-gb-boun...@openstreetmap.org] On Behalf Of Peter Reed
Sent: 19 February 2010 09:49
To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
Subject: [Talk-GB] Road density in Naptan pay scale areas

It occurred to me that the "Pay scale areas" that arrived with the
OSM Naptan import should be fairly thickly populated areas, so those
with a relatively low road density would highlight places where
there were roads missing from the map, and hence help to prioritise
attention on plugging the gaps.

So for each Naptan area, I calculated road density as the length of
roads in km, divided by the area of the pay scale area in sq. km.
I've included motorways (and links), primary, secondary, tertiary,
unclassiifed and residential roads. I've not included cycleways,
paths and bridleways, etc.  The database extract I used is a few
weeks old (end Dec 2009), but that shouldn't make a lot of
difference (unless someone has added a mass of new roads in a
particular area).

The result can be seen here.
http://www.reedhome.org.uk/Documents/osmembedscale.html?kml=KML/napt
an.kml
<http://www.reedhome.org.uk/Documents/osmembedscale.html?kml=KML/nap
tan.kml&title=Naptan> &title=Naptan .

The highest quartile of areas (by road density) are shown in blue,
then the following quartiles in green, orange and red. In other
words red areas have the least road for the area, blue areas have
the most, green areas are higher than average, orange lower than
average.

Looking at the result, the broad pattern is what you would expect,
with the south-east of England fairly well covered and gaps further
north. But at a detailed level things are not as simple as I had
hoped. There is too much variation between the different Naptan
areas to make sensible comparisons. Anyway, for what it's worth,
this is what it looks like. Maybe someone else will spot a way of
making use of the information.