Peter Childs wrote:
>Sent: 25 February 2010 7:53 AM
>To: peter.r...@aligre.co.uk
>Cc: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Looking for places to map?

snip

>Thinking about this probably the best way to collect this data is to
>map who has there rubbish collected on which day of the week and map
>that. Round here Recycling is collected Fortnightly and Brown waste
>the other week, and different areas are done on different days of the
>week.
>
>Better still we could map the rubbish collection routes and tag that
>as well. But I'm not sure I've got the time to rush around every day
>at 7am to see who has their rubbish out.

Midlands's folk have been pretty successful thus far in getting the gritting
route data from local authorities into OSM. Not all have said yes (they
worry about liability) but increasable they are. The plan is to expand to
other things, such as refuse collection data, with those LA's who have been
sympathetic and can see the benefit of what we are doing.

For those who haven't seen it, gritting routes in the Midlands (Birmingham
and Solihull currently, Walsall coming soon) can be viewed at
http://mappa-mercia.org/gritting-map.shtml

Note that although the gritting map is shown as an overlay on the base
Mapnik map the data is actually in the OSM database.

Cheers

Andy