I applied to KCC for permission to use data from their Highways Gazetteer in OSM. They have approved on the condition that the data is attributed to them. My request and their official reply are below. What this gives us is an authorititave source for road numbering and classification in Kent (excluding Medway), although it does require a little bit of thinking as there are no coordinates, only road and place names. So for example we take Whitehill Road and Highcross Road between Longfield and Bean [1] the Gazetteer makes clear that these roads are still officially the B255, even though the signs have not revealed this for years. For the attribution they require I intend to use source:ref=kent.gov.uk.

Which brings me to a dilemma: If a road is ostensibly one type but officially another, how should this be tagged? Both are "verifiable." Traditionally the official classification takes precedence - otherwise the single-track A-roads in the Scottish highlands and islands might better be tagged as as "track" in some cases... The Wiki [2] specifically refers to the Administrative classifications.

Another use of this Gazetteer is to arbitrate between road classes, particularly between tertiary (i.e. C-roads) and unclassified, where there is mostly no visible difference "on the ground". That throws up the odd anomaly as well: New Ash Green [3] got its very own bypass in the seventies, which is single carriageway but very wide. The much smaller original "main road" which goes through the village still retains the "C" classification, and the relatively enormous bypass is still "unclassified".

It occurred to the cynic in me that the lengths of roads of various classes might be fed into some spreadsheet in Whitehall to calculate some kind of grant to the local councils, giving them an interest in keeping the administrative classifications as "high" as possible, despite downgrading them on the ground. But that's unlikely to be true of course.

Colin Smale

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.40868&lon=0.2965&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.40868&lon=0.2965&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF>
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Highway
[3] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.3665&lon=0.30171&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.3665&lon=0.30171&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF>
=========================

Dear Sirs,

I am one of an army of volunteers who collectively are producing and maintaining "openstreetmap.org" ( _http://www.openstreetmap.org/_ ), a crowd-sourced map of the world under the CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons by

Share-Alike) licence ( _http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/_ ), with which you may be familiar.

Having found the KCC Highways Gazetteer, I would like to request your permission to use and republish certain information contained in this document by incorporating it in OpenStreetMap.

One of the problems we frequently face is that the official category of a road (or segment thereof) is not always immediately obvious "on the ground". I would like to use this document to classify (minor) roads correctly as (for example distinguishing between "unclassified" and "tertiary"), add the official road number, and possibly its status as a private (unadopted) street. The Highways Gazetteer contains no location information (other than place names) and therefore is probably unencumbered by Ordnance Survey restrictions, which would render the data unusable in the CC-BY-SA licence model. The alignment of the road will still be surveyed "on the ground", but thereafter the Gazetteer will be used to classify the road correctly as mentioned.

Yours sincerely,
Colin Smale

Dear Mr Smale,
Further to your request for information relating to re-use of information from the Kent Highways Gazetteer, because the information you have requested falls under the scope of the Freedom of Information Act (FoIA) and is information held within the Environment, Highways & Waste Directorate (the directorate), your request has been forwarded to me so that I can co-ordinate the response on behalf of the directorate. This is to comply with procedures that the County Council has for dealing with all FoIA requests.

You ask the Council:

   * Having found the KCC Highways Gazetteer, I would like to request
     your permission to use and republish certain information contained
     in this document by incorporating it in OpenStreetMap

Although the response below has been sent from me, I have liaised with Kent Highway Services who have provided the following in answer to your request:

Kent County Council are willing to allow the information in the Highway Gazetteer to be used for the purpose of Open Street Map on the proviso that we receive confirmation that the data source is kent.gov.uk.