I think most of us are working with what's on the ground though there are
sections of NCN that we ride that are poorly signed though the route is in
use on the ground if you know where to go.

Generally speaking you should find the routes in OSM pretty reliable, if at
times disjointed.

Bear in mind also that the OS prints routes on its maps that the LA and
Sustrans provide them with. In the Sustrans mapping some are wrongly routed
because they were created off the 1:50,000 mapping. Sustrans has moved all
its GIS over to 1:10,000 mapping now and they are in the process of cleaning
up routes, crossings and access point data. I'm doing that currently for
them for instance in Birmingham.

One way to fix problems with OSM data for cycling is to submit a routing bug
via cyclestreets.net

Cheers

Andy