I like the idea. And although I like the simplicity, I think it might be
worth somehow taking account for seasonable variability. There a number of
quiet roads in the Lakes etc. atm that I wouldn't want to walk down in the
summer. Perhaps the simplest approach would be using traffic:note to say
when the last survey was made, allowing another user to average/update in an
informed way.

Might there also be existing sources of this data (for some roads) 'owned'
by local authorities or highways agencies; these are guesses, I don't know
who does this kind of surveying.

> I think in my part of the SW the large majority of highway=unclassified
would be <=1 car a minute average so just from a tagging perspective
> it would be a lot easier just tagging those few that are busier.

I agree, working with assumed values based on way classification would make
it a lot easier.

Cheers,
Craig