On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com> wrote:
> Dair Grant <dair@...> writes:
>
>>> There is suggestion raised by a number of people, but refuted by others that
>>> imports reduce the number of contributors.
>>
>>It has been denied, not refuted. I think the closest there is to real data
>>on the effect is:
>>
>><http://www.asklater.com/matt/wordpress/2009/09/imports-and-the-community-ii>
>
> We do also have real data on the effect of not doing imports - the towns which
> are almost completely unmapped.  While importing data from OS may not be
> ideal,
> doing nothing and waiting for somebody to go and map it doesn't seem like a
> successful strategy either, if the past five years are a guide.
>
> For prosperous city areas there is no difficulty finding a local mapper who
> will
> take on a new hobby to get away from the computer screen for a few hours.  But
> OSM has a real coverage gap in socially disadvantaged areas (Fake SteveC has a
> pithier name for them).  But we want a complete map and not just a map of
> where
> the typical OSM contributor lives.  If using some of the work already done by
> the Ordnance Survey helps us get there, that has to be a good thing.

my experience of the OS data traced into my local area is that it's
been almost entirely inaccurate. if this is the case where a typical
OSM contributor lives then i'd assume that people tracing over OS have
introduced several hundred inaccurate features in London alone.
perhaps if the people enamoured of tracing OS would organise a mapping
party, or reach out to local community groups (people still live in
socially disadvantaged areas, right?) then we could create a complete,
living map, rather than a road-network-complete, dead one.

cheers,

matt