-----Adam Hoyle <adam.li...@dotankstudios.com> wrote: -----
>To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
>From: Adam Hoyle <adam.li...@dotankstudios.com>
>Date: 04/05/2011 06:07PM
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] On footpaths

>This is a very interesting discussion. I've been walking and then adding
>footpaths north of High Wycombe / south of Wendover and surrounding areas for
>a couple of years, but for various felt-too->much-
>like-work reasons I've only just joined this mailing list in the last few
>weeks.

>Fwiw I had thought that footway meant an official footpath and path meant an
>non-official, but obviously well used footpath, not that I used path that
>often tbh.>I'm glad to hear about the designation tag, as that makes things a
>bit clearer, but how does designation work with highway=bridleway? Should I be
>adding both?

Contentious one again. My own view, in an ideal world, (which not all agree
with) is to separate out the *physical* characteristic and the *rights* so one
could tag it as highway=path (if it resembles a dirt path) or highway=track (if
it resembles a 4x4 style track) and then add designation=public_bridleway.

*However*, pragmatically, to make the main Mapnik renderer show it, in practice
it might be better to tag as highway=bridleway instead. I will admit to doing
this currently.
TBH my current views are really - give it a designation tag, and don't worry
too much about the rest.

Nick