Hi all,

I just attended the Kent Heritage Tree project launch event. This comprised of a few presentations about the overall project and about how interesting trees can be. The project is a national lottery funded, BTCV administered 5 year effort to raise awareness of trees through various means. This includes nature training courses, cultural events, tree planting and artistic works. The total project cost is £650000. The core of the project is an attempt to survey 10,000 trees in Kent. They apparently want to train 300 tree surveyors and hope that some will become long term tree wardens. The turn out was good at the first launch, with about 150+ people attending, by my estimate. The local MP Damian Green was there, etc. There was surprisingly little information about the surveying itself. They mentioned it would be possible to do paper or electronic submissions. They also accept tip-offs from the general public and tree surveyors in the area would be alerted that a tree needed checking. It is planned that once the surveyor checked the tree, it would immediately appear on their slippy map. It seems that surveyors would need to do a tree surveyor course, because they are interested in not merely a tree's location, but also condition, physical size, other species on and near it, local history, photographic records, etc. They do not have any requirements for how much time one needs to commit beyond attending the surveying course, but they ask that you do at least bit. The offered free tree identification leaflets, OS maps (boo hiss), and the loan of GPS receivers and digital cameras. The data will be used to monitor trees condition, raise awareness with tree owners, to be a historical archive "domesday book", and to press for more legal projection of heritage trees. The thinking is that monitoring of trees will at least help to prevent any human instigated "accidents" befalling the trees (like some sort of arboreal Amnesty International). They consider any notable tree to be heritage, by the way.

If you want to do the minimum to get involved, just register as an interested party and attend the tree surveyor course. If you wonder if it is worth your while at all or you want a free lunch, consider going to a launch event. The next are:

4 Jun 2011 - 10:00  Canterbury
10 Jul 2011 - 10:00 Tonbridge

http://kentheritagetrees.btcv.org.uk/

I talked briefly to the project manager Viginia Hodge. BTCV are seeking to raise awareness and I said I would do what I could by getting the OSM community involved. Even if people survey heritage trees into the OSM db, rather than their project, it would still be useful. Or contribute to both... I might start a wikiproject on trees or at least update the wiki with some standardised tags for what BTCV are surveying.

I suggested that their data should be opened for any use and they seemed receptive to the idea, but further discussions are needed. They already have a smaller tree database around the Ashford area. I didn't get into what license would be appropriate, because that would have opened a can of worms...

Regards,

TimSC