>Very basically this is all a problem becuase highway=track and
>highway=bridleway/byway/footway cannot both be tagged together.  They need to
>be understood and moved, or >duplicated into 'routes' or another key to state
>access.   Having them together any longer will knock 10 years off my life, I'm
>sure of it!  We need to either move bridleways/byways and .footways to routes
>or somewhere/anywhere else!, and just leave highway=track and highway=path.
>Or we need to move physical things (like tracks) out of the highway key, even
>>though highway is apparently 'Physical', realistically it primarily states
>access rights.

We do: that's what the designation tag is for ;-)

Many people use highway=track, path, service, etc for the *physical* condition
of the path and then designation=public_footpath,public_bridleway, etc for the
rights. Or, for permissive paths, foot,horse=permissive.

Also I think Mapnik does render tracktype tags now.

Nick